February 20, 2005

Pondexter passes on WNBA, will return for fourth year

PISCATAWAY, N.J. -- Rutgers guard Cappie Pondexter has decided that the WNBA can wait another year.

Pondexter announced Sunday that she will return for her fourth year at Rutgers, passing on the chance of becoming a first-round draft pick.

``The money doesn't matter to me at all. I just love the game of basketball, and college basketball is the best place to play,'' Pondexter said. ``I realize that the next level is a business and I'm not ready for that yet. I feel something better will happen to me if I stay.''

Pondexter is averaging 13.4 points for the No. 10 Scarlet Knights, who improved to 20-5 with a win over Notre Dame on Saturday.

Pondexter, a senior, did not play as a freshman because she failed to meet the NCAA's eligibility requirements.

Rutgers coach C. Vivian Stringer was pleased that Pondexter chose to return.

``We've been blessed to have someone like Cappie come here,'' Stringer said. ``She could have gone anywhere. A player of her quality, an All-American, a national player of the year candidate, they don't come around often.''


No comments: